Did you know… Our Sitting Judges have EACH been thoroughly vetted
and selected via the merit selection process.
- 25 plus page application exploring personal and professional history and experience
- 2 writing samples;
- Approximately 13 interviews with the Judicial Selections Committees of various Bar Associations who independently vet each applicant
- Referendum ballot sent to over 2,000 members of the Bar Association for Montgomery County who vote on the qualifications of each applicant
- Independent vetting by the Trial Court’s Judicial Nominating Commission, including:
- Thorough review of the application and writing samples,
- Input from references and other members of the legal and lay community, including judges before whom the applicant has practiced,
- Consideration of the recommendations of all Judicial Selections Committees, the results of the referendum,
- Additional input from the County and State Bar Associations,
- Another round of interviews of and discussion about each applicant before sending nominees to the Governor.
By the time the “short list” gets to the Governor, the applicants have been thoroughly vetted. Then there is additional vetting by the Governor!
Under the Maryland Constitution, once appointed, the judge must then run in the next election.
The newly appointed judge must close their practice or resign from their jobs so they may begin the important work of serving this community.
Under the Maryland Constitution, any lawyer over the age of 30 living in Maryland may challenge the appointed judges.
No Vetting Is Required to Challenge a Sitting Judge
It takes just $50 to get on the ballot and circumvent the process described above. The non vetted candidate, if elected, will sit on our Bench for 15 years.
This year, the four judges on the Montgomery County Sitting Judges Slate have a challenger. This challenger did not submit to the vetting process for the positions now held by your sitting judges. Between 2012 and 2017, the challenger applied for fourteen positions. Every single time, the Trial Courts Nominating Commission did not find her qualified to be a judge.
THIS ELECTION IS ABOUT SEATING THE MOST COMPETENT JUDGES AND PROTECTING THE IMPORTANT VETTING PROCESS THAT HELPS TO INSURE THE INTEGRITY OF OUR BENCH!
Acosta, Chernosky, Dumais, Mcguckian our Best Bench For Montgomery
Elect Sitting Judges Montgomery County Slate | P.O. Box 10196 | Rockville, MD 20849
VOTE FOR YOUR SITTING MONTGOMERY COUNTY CIRCUIT COURT JUDGES
BY AUTHORITY OF ELECT SITTING JUDGES MONTGOMERY COUNTY SLATE, RAYMOND GAMBRILL, TREASURER.